This trek was officially opened to tourist in 1991, but mountaineering expeditions have had long access to the area. In 1950 a party led by H.W. Tilman trekked from Thonje to Bimtang and Col. Jimmy Roberts crossed the Larkya La looking for an interesting mountain to climb. Manaslu (8156 m.) was attempted by Japanese Expeditions every year from 1952 until 1956 when the first ascent was made. Having become known as "Japanese Mountain" much of the information about the area was available in Japanese. the Japanese continued to dominate the climbing scene of Manaslu until 1971. A few trekkers including peripatetic Hugh Swift, managed to obtain the trekking permit for the region but otherwise this trek always has been the domain of the mountaineering expedition.
This trek is geographically spectacular and culturally fascinating circumnavigating Manaslu (8156 m.) Peak 29 (2871 m.) Himal Chuli (7893 m.) and Baudha (6672 m). Much of this trek is in a region of strong Tibetan influence. We cross the Larkya-La (5213 m.) and descend to the Marshyangdi River and further trek down to Besisahar from where we will drive back to Kathmandu. Sama Gumpa is an interesting spot when we look through Manaslu Himal. Manaslu, being a restricted area, there are certain formalities required by the government of Nepal in obtaining a special permit. The long forbidden region of Manaslu is now open to limited number of trekkers accompanied by liaison officer.
Day 01: Welcome at Kathmandu airport and drive to Hotel, short breifing about the plan and overnight at hotel
Day 02: Preparation for Trekking After breakfast, prepartion for trekking, meet the guide and visit some heritage sites in Kathmandu, overnight at hotel
Day 03: Drive to Arughat from Kathmandu (7-8 hours)
Day 04: Trek Arughat –Soti Khola (5-6 hours)
Day 05: Trek Sotikhola – Machha Khola ( 6 hours)
Day 06: Trek Machha Khola – Jagat (6 hours)
Day 07: Trek Jagat – Filim ( 3.30 hrs)
Day 08: Trek Filim – Deng (5 hrs)
Day 09: Trek Deng – Namrung (6 hours)
Day 10: Trek Namrung – Lho Gaun (4 hrs)
Day 11: Trek Lho Gaun – Sama Gaung (4 hrs)
Day 12: Rest in sanma Gaun
Day 13: Trek Sama Gaun – Samdo (4 hrs)
Day 14: Trek Samdo – Dharmasala (3 hrs)
Day 15: Trek Dharmasala – Bimtang (7-8 hrs)
Day 16: Trek Bimtang – Tikhe (6-7 hours)
Day 17: Trek Tikhe – Syange (6 hrs)
Day 18: Trek Syange – Besishahar (7 hrs)
Day 19: Drive to Kathmandu from Besisahar (7 hrs)
Day 20: Final departure to Kathmandu airport or further program according to flight schedule.
- International and domestic airport arrivals and departures
- Accommodation at hotel in Kathmandu on BB plan ( as per the choice of the trekkers )
- Domestic flight fare including airport tax as per the itinerary.
- All necessary paperwork for permit ( national park entrance, TIMS card )
- Accommodation at the hotels / lodges in the trekking trail
- All meals ( breakfast, lunch and dinner ) in the trekking
- An experienced English speaking trek leader ( trekking guide ) and assistant trekking guide ( 4 trekking members ), and porters ( one porter between two trekkers ) to carry luggage including their meals, accommodation, wages, equipment and accident insurance.
- First aid medical kit
- All government and local taxes
- Farewell dinner
- International airfare to and from Kathmandu
- Nepal visa fee
- Excess baggage charges for the domestic flight
- Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu
- Travel and rescue insurance for trekking members
- Any additional expenses due to domestic flight delay or cancellation
- Any other expenses of personal nature ( phone calls, laundry, bar bills battery recharge, hot shower and boiled water in the trekking ).
- Gratuity for the trekking staffs