Situated inside the Shey-Phoksundo National Park of Western Region of the country, Dolpo stands totally isolated. It lies behind the Dhaulagiri range and is cut off from the Tibetan Plateau by high passes. The high valleys of Dolpo are some of the most remarkable in the Himalaya with sweeping views, stretching to the arid Tibetan remote, unspoiled part of Nepal that has remained largely untracked and unexplored. Time has stood still here for centuries as the inhabitants of Tibetan stock continue to live, cultivate and commerce the way they have done since time immemorial. The finally preserved eco-system encompasses a wild and wonderful variety of plants and wildlife, including the blue sheep and snow leopard.
The trek begins at Jumla and follows the trail to Shey Gompa via Phoksundo. We descend to the beautiful Phoksumdo Lake, which is a part of the Shey Phoksumdo National Park. This region situated above 3000 sq. km. is one of the most spectacular and protected areas in Nepal. In this region the liaison officer is necessary.The trek concludes with our descending towards the valley and once again up to Juphal from where we fly back to Nepalganj then to Kathmandu.
Day 1: Flight Kathmandu-Nepalgunj To get to Dolpa, generally you have to fly to Nepalgunj first.
Day 2: Flight Nepalgunj-Juphal (2475 m), walk to Chhepka (2838 m) 6 hrs
Day 3: Chhepka (2838 m) to Chunuwar/Amchi Hospital (3110 m) 6 hrs
Day 4: Chunuwar/Amchi Hospital (3110 m) to Ringmo/Phoksundo Lake (3641 m) 3 hrs
Day 5: Ringmo/Phoksundo Lake (3641 m), free day
Day 6: Ringmo/Phoksundo Lake (3641 m) to Chunemba (3639 m) 5 hrs
Day 7: Chunemba (3639 m) to Snowfields Camp (4400 m) 7 hrs
Day 8: Snowfields Camp (4400 m) to Shey Gompa (4310 m) via Nagdalo La (5350 m) 6 hrs
Day 9: Restday Shey Gompa (4310 m)
Day 10: Shey Gompa (4350 m) to Namgung (4430 m) via Shey La (5000 m) 6 hrs
Day 11: Namgung (4400 m) to Saldang (4060 m) 3 hrs
Day 12: Saldang (4060 m) to Sibu (4200 m) 5 hrs
Day 13: Sibu (4200 m) to Lagmo Che (4570 m) 4 hrs
Day 14: Lagmo Che (4570 m) to Tokyu (4209 m) via Jeng La (5110 m) 7 hrs
Day 15: Tokyu (4209 m) to Dho Tarap ( 4080 m) 2 hrs
Day 16: Dho Tarap (4080 m) to Sisaul (3750 m) 4 hrs
Day 17: Sisaul (3750 m) to Laina Odar (3370 m) 7-8 hrs
Day 18: Laina Odar (3370 m) to Lingdo (2391 m) 5 hrs
Day 19: Lingdo (2391 m) to Dunai (2140 m) 5 hrs
Day 20: Dunai (2140 m) to Juphal (2475 m) 3½ hrs
Day 21: Flight Juphal-Nepalgunj-Kathmandu
- International and domestic airport arrivals and departures
- Accommodation at hotel in Kathmandu on BB plan ( as per the choice of the trekkers )
- Domestic flight fare including airport tax as per the itinerary.
- All necessary paperwork for permit ( national park entrance, TIMS card )
- Accommodation at the hotels / lodges in the trekking trail
- All meals ( breakfast, lunch and dinner ) in the trekking
- An experienced English speaking trek leader ( trekking guide ) and assistant trekking guide ( 4 trekking members ), and porters ( one porter between two trekkers ) to carry luggage including their meals, accommodation, wages, equipment and accident insurance.
- First aid medical kit
- All government and local taxes
- Farewell dinner
- International airfare to and from Kathmandu
- Nepal visa fee
- Excess baggage charges for the domestic flight
- Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu
- Travel and rescue insurance for trekking members
- Any additional expenses due to domestic flight delay or cancellation
- Any other expenses of personal nature ( phone calls, laundry, bar bills battery recharge, hot shower and boiled water in the trekking ).
- Gratuity for the trekking staffs